** Disclaimer: Please note that the transhealth info provided below may have changed since it was last updated on 08/19/2016. Visit the resources below for more information or Contact Alder Health with any questions **

The physical and emotional changes associated with transitioning can be overwhelming, but there is another side – an administrative side – that must be considered as well. Ignoring it that could make your day-to-day experiences difficult. Here are some things you’ll need to keep in mind.

What Does the Name Changing Process Entail?

One of the first things you’ll need to do is change the name on your Social Security card. This involves applying either at your nearest Social Security office or through the mail. As you would probably expect, there are several steps involved in this process. These include:

  • – Submitting an application for a new Social Security card
  • – Providing proof of your citizenship status and your identity
  • – Proof of your name change. You can provide a copy of a court order reflecting your Pennsylvania birth certificate gender change, a marriage or domestic partnership certificate, a divorce decree or a citizenship certificate

For more information on the process, please see

How Do I Change Gender on My Social Security Card?

The Social Security Administration (SSA) accepts several different documents that provide evidence you have changed your gender, including:

  • – A Court Order
  • – U.S. passport
  • – Birth Certificate

You can also show a letter from your medical provider that confirms you have received clinical treatment for your transition. If you choose this option, the doctor will need to be a licensed physician with whom you have a doctor/patient relationship. He or she will need to be familiar with the treatment you have received, and the letter will have to be on his or her office letterhead.

For more information on the process, please see:

How do I Change Gender on My Driver’s License?

Pennsylvania has adopted the policy that recognizes the difference between sex and gender. To change your gender marker you will need to have a form completed by your medical provider or a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with whom you have a therapeutic relationship.  The form can be accessed here:  PennDot Form DL-32 Request for Gender Change on Driver’s License.

For more information on the process, please see:

How do I change my passport?

Name Change Form


If you live outside Pennsylvania, please see the resources listed here:

 The compassionate professionals with Alder Health Services want your transition to go as smoothly as possible. We are here for you if you have any questions or simply need someone to talk to. Our experts have a great deal of experience in this area, and can provide the help you need to maintain your physical as well as behavioral health. Contact us online or give us a call at 717-233-7190 to learn more.

For more information, visit the National Center for Transgender Equality